Sunday, June 29, 2008

Finger Surgery


So my "dislocated" finger is apparently much more than that! I went in last week (Wednesday I think) and got an x-ray of my finger because it was still hurting pretty bad whenever the kids would bump it. And whenever they would "more than" bump it, I'd loose my breath and burst into uncontrollable sobbing! Something wasn't right! Anyway, the x-ray revealed a huge chunk of bone dislodged from my finger just kind of floating there between my joint! No wonder I couldn't bend it!! No people, I have not slackened my standards and decided that "flipping the bird" is now acceptable for any and all occasions! I simply have no other choice! My middle finger does not bend when all of the others do. Some have enjoyed quite a hearty chuckle at my expense when presented with such an expressive wave hello from me! Anyway! I have a consultation with the surgeon tomorrow and they will likely do surgery this week to put pins in my massively displaced bone chunk (which I will now fondly refer to as "Chunk-a"). The purpose of the pins will be to hold "Chunk-a" in place as a part of my finger and not lodged in my joint causing me to, ever so apologetically, flip the bird. The pins will stay in for about 6 weeks and then we get to go have them removed... yay... kind of (ouch!) Anyway! That should be interesting.

And as a side note, when I was in the doctor getting my x-ray I asked them to do a step test too because my throat had started to really bother me and I knew that strep was going around. He said that it was negative but it would be too early to show up on the test because it had only been hurting for a few hours (better safe than sorry - plus I was already there and knowing my life, I wouldn't go back in if it got worse) so he gave me a prescription and told me only to fill it if I started to get body aches or fever and chills. Well, I didn't get any better and would only get worse at night until Saturday when I was hit like a train! I happened to be out with my girls on a "Mommy Daughter Date" and started to feel really miserable and achy! So we filled my prescription, came home and crashed! I was 100% out of commission for a full 5 hours without moving! It was 80 degrees in our house (I turned the air off because I was so freezing) and bundled under 3 huge blankets shivering hardly able to swallow, my head felt like it was in a vice and my eyeballs were throbbing and all of my bones ached something fierce!

Anyway, enough drama, I'm a little better today and hoping to be a LOT better by tomorrow night! I'm doing a singing competition to be on next year's Jenny Phillips CD and I'm going to a professional recording studio tomorrow night at 8pm to be mentored by Jenny Phillips for 30 minutes as she coaches me through recording the competition song. So super cool right!? Yeah, if I can sing with lingering strep!! Well, there is a slight chance that they could switch my time slot with someone who has one later in the week, but I'm supposed to have surgery this week and from what I understand I won't be up for much of anything even though it's just a measly finger surgery!

And while we're on THAT subject, allow me to tangent a little bit further!! I cannot believe and I'm sure (unless you've experienced it for reals) you cannot begin to imagine, how completely debilitating it is to not have the use of one of your fingers!! Think of things like, turning a can opener while gripping the can, straining pasta noodles, scooping leftovers into a tupperware (one hand has to hold the full pot while the other one scoops it out), blow drying your hair! I have a two finger pincher grip on my left hand right now (pointer finger and thumb) and that's it! My Chunk-a finger gets in the way of me using my other two fingers on the end! But gripping things (like two squirmy ankles of a toddler while you're trying to wipe a dirty bum) is next to impossible! Sweet Peter spent the first few days coming up from his office to change Nathan's diaper EVERY TIME he was messy or wet! EVERY TIME people!!! Man, I love that man! Now I've convinced the older kids to help me hold his legs up or pin his arms down so he doesn't grab at it too, that makes things all the more interesting!! But now I have to bribe them for help with the messy diapers, they don't enjoy being that up close and personal with the smell!

WOW!!! This has been kind of a whiney post!!! Yikes! Thanks for letting me vent! A happy post to follow!

6 comments:

Bale Family said...

Sound like you have had a week!!! Sorry about your finger and being sick. Good luck with everything. If you need help watching your kids or errands or anything, I'm willing to help!

Tiffany said...

ok, that just sounds awful! i'm thinking of you.

kahnfam said...

Wow! I hope you are feeling better soon. Good luck with the surgery on your finger.

Davianne said...

Yikes!! Hope you're feeling better now, and hope the kids let you get enough rest. Call me if you need some extra rest. They can run around my house.

Spackman's said...

wow your finger. I am so sorry :( So I decided to finally start a blog. Miss you and can't wait to see you again! Your camping trip also looked like it was so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I had a fracture/dislocation at work when a file cabinet fell on me. I had the surgery with pins and have been in physical therapy for 3 weeks now. I still cannot bend the finger very far and I know the feeling of sobbing if it gets bent. I hope yours heals faster than mine is. Good luck!