Saturday, July 12, 2008

No More Glasses!!

Hooray for PRK!! So I am apparently not a candidate for Lasik because the top layer of my eyes are too thin (probably the only part of my body that would be classified this way so I guess I'll take it as a compliment! *wink*) But they suggested PRK (which was the forerunner to Lasik) and they said that the results are 100% the same as Lasik but the risks of problems are considerably lower than with Lasik (because you don't have to worry about complications with the flap they cut) and you don't always have immediate results with PRK, it takes 3-4 weeks to see the final results (but often less than that). And there is a little more discomfort with PRK than there is with Lasik (it feels like you have an eyelash in your eye for the first 3-4 days). But PRK costs less than Lasik. SO there are pros and cons to both, but since I am not even a candidate for Lasik we are doing PRK, and in fact we are doing it this MONDAY! I'm so excited! This is the laser that they are using on me: the Allegretto Wave IQ 400 Excimer Laser. I'm having it done up at Hoopes Vision in Sandy and I'm SO excited... did I already say that?!

1 comment:

kahnfam said...

Chris had his eyes done with the PRK procedure in Feb. He LOVES not having to wear glasses or contacts anymore. I hope it went well for you.