Monday, June 7, 2010

Manti Fun

A few weeks ago I got a call from my Dad asking what we were doing for Memorial Day weekend. I told him that it was the kids last day of school that Friday but we didn't have anything planned. So he and my mom decided to come up to Utah for a last minute visit! The Scandinavian Heritage Festival was going on in Manti and since his mom and sister live down there we thought we'd head down there and spend some time with them! Peter wasn't able to come and so Tyler decided to stay home with him but the rest of us had a great time!

We started off the day with a fun run. I've NEVER run in a race before so it was a new experience for me! In fact until that day I'd only ever gone running with someone else a few times I usually go by myself! So it was really fun. We got up super early to make it down in time and ended up getting there in time for me to do the 10K race instead of the 5K that I was planning on doing with my dad and a few cousins. On my marathon training schedule I was supposed to run 8 miles that day, so I figured a warm up plus a 6.25 mile run plus a cool down would get me pretty close! Anyway, so I ran in my first race! The course wasn't well marked so I was just following the crowd and there were NO mile markers and even the volunteers at the water station didn't know what mile it was at. My phone had no reception and so I didn't get to use the app that I'd been using to keep track of my miles and time and everything, so I kind of just ran blind and enjoyed it! I ended up finishing in 1 hour and 19 seconds. So that was about 9:40 min/mile. Not my best time but pretty good for not pushing myself at all and not having a CLUE how far I was from the finish! Fun times!

Then we went back to Granny's house and showered and ate breakfast and then headed back to Ephraim for the parade. The kids were in HEAVEN!! We filled an entire plastic grocery bag FULL of candy! Maddie kept saying that it was the best day EVER! Lol! Funny girl! Emily cracked us all up with her dance moves! My dad had never seen her dance and quite enjoyed his first show! Then we met up with the rest of the family and listened to some fun folk music which meant more dancing for Emily! Eventually Nathan and Maddie joined her and they spent basically the whole day dancing! I included a little video of Emily dancing at the very end of this post followed by another video of 2 different clips of her dancing. The first clip of her dancing outside was taken in May 2009 and the second was at Tim and Lisa's Wedding Reception this past December. Emily LOVES to dance!!

After we finished eating lunch and listening to the folk singers, we went to the Quilt Show where Granny and Aunt Bev both had quilts on display. Then we headed back to Bev's for a BBQ dinner with all of the cousins. It was such a fun day! The kids kept seeing people with their faces painted so we decided we'd go look for the booth and get theirs done, except that it cost FIVE DOLLARS per face!!! WHAT?! are you kidding me?! So I promised the kids that we'd stop on our way to Aunt Bev's and pick up our own face paint and I'd do it for them. It cost me $4.75 for 15 brushes and five different colors (about 1 inch containers of each color which equals about 50 faces painted for the same price of one!) Anyway, I think their faces turned out pretty cute! Here's a few fun pictures of the day!

No comments: