Monday, June 22, 2009

Scrapbook Pages and Castor Oil Milkshakes




Just a few pages that I made today (finished the Jump one from awhile ago) while having some serious contractions brought on by my Mint Castor Oil Shake (Mint Chip ice cream, milk, mint Oreos and about 4 Tbsp of Castor Oil). I've noticed that Oreos kind of leave a light film on the top of your mouth so they make the "after film" Castor Oil much less noticeable, all of the mint makes the taste almost non-existent. It was actually not an unpleasant experience! Seriously. I did however have flashbacks to the first time that I took Castor Oil which still gives me nightmares and dry heaving episodes followed by chills and tingles of disgust down my back! I was pregnant with Tyler and was having my constant contractions and had been into the hospital twice, certain that Tyler was coming. My mom had raced up from California and then just waited with me for a week and we were all ready for it to be over. Amber Haning (who is now Amber McNeil) and my mom went and picked up some Castor Oil for me after a long day of discouragement and me being convinced that Tyler was NEVER going to come out! We then poured a hefty dose of almost 1/4 a cup of straight Castor Oil into a measuring cup and then I downed it... raw... straight oil... no barrier!! I still shiver when I think about it, seriously. It brought on some serious contractions and "cleaned me out" but it was still almost a week before Tyler was born. Then with Maddie I got to that same desperate point and heard that mixing the Castor Oil with orange juice makes it taste better. So I ventured again, even though I STILL couldn't apply chap stick without dry heaving (in case you haven't had the pleasure of tasting Castor Oil, it has the distinct taste of melted chap stick, and the exact same texture). So I mixed myself up a Orange Juice Castor Oil blend... not recommended. It didn't mask the taste at all. I didn't put as much Castor Oil in that one but I still had some really hard contractions for a day or so. Maddie was born within a week. Then with Emily I did it again, this time in a mint shake. Just mint ice cream and milk and Castor oil. Not too bad, the best yet, but not as good as with the Oreos. Like I said earlier, I think the film from the center of the Oreos kind of masks the film from the Castor oil. I think if this shake was your first experience with Castor Oil, it wouldn't be a nightmare, in fact it really wouldn't be much of anything. It's recommended. Anyway. I also had a mint shake with Nathan. I don't know that it really makes that much of a difference but I think it makes me feel better knowing that I'm doing EVERYTHING that I can. Does that make sense? Oh well. That was my Castor Oil history in a nutshell. We'll see how this one works out. Hopefully it'll be within the week.

2 comments:

Cyndi W said...

Janelle I started laughing when I saw the title to your blog before I even clicked on it. So very mild my dear, don't even ask what I did to bring about the birth of my little ones. I'm sure it would make any Dr. question my sanity, but hey you just get to that point when enough is enough!

Love the scrapbooking pages, you are so good at it.Good luck this next week, I hope little Nathan makes his debut! Love, Cyndi

kelly said...

Love the pages, it makes me feel like getting back into it after a hiatus of a few weeks. I have never tasted castor oil, I think I'm pretty sure I never will! That shake sounds pretty good though, I might try that minus the castor oil.