
Here are a few pictures from Mother's Day (the Sunday after we got home from the hospital). The kids made me tons of cards and crowns and cute poems and stuff and Peter got me a new printer! I hadn't had one for over a year and I was ridiculously thrilled with that surprise gift. That night my mom and I got pampered by the kids. They lathered their hands with lotion and massaged our feet and legs and shoulders and heads and combed our hair for about an hour. It was heaven!

Here's cute Logan all bundled up to go outside one afternoon, yes it was still pretty cold outside mid-May this year in Utah.

Here's a picture of me and Logan in the ER the night that I mentioned in my previous post, trying to get a good blood sample in the middle of the night. You can see that he was LESS than thrilled to be back in the hospital and hooked up to monitors and surrounded by Doctors and Nurses again. Poor little boy!

And now the story of my legs: My mom stayed with us until Wednesday the 11th when she headed home after being wonder woman for 9 days and taking care of me and my 5 kids and all of my laundry and a million projects and on and on and on... The day after she left when the little kids wanted to go outside and ride bikes in the cul-de-sac I thought I'd bring out a lawn chair and watch them play for a little bit. It was a beautiful day and so I made a picnic lunch and sat outside with them while they played for awhile. I chatted with neighbors and had a fabulous afternoon! I went in after about an hour and noticed that my legs were a little pink. That night I headed to a friends house for a Game Night of treats and games and chatting with friends. I had noticed that my legs were pretty red and while we were there at game night I started having a lot of pain in my legs whenever I would stand up. Like sharp shooting pains, the best way to describe it was so much pressure that it felt like my legs were going to explode. Sounds dramatic I know, but that's how it felt! I complained to Peter about it when I got home and tried every remedy I could think of to cool the skin which was on fire by this time as well. I even rubbed my legs down in Vinegar! I was super burned along in inside of both of my legs from knee to ankle, I guess I'd been sitting with my legs turned out a little because there was a pretty straight line down my shin and along the back of my calf, red on one side, white on the other. I had a rough time sleeping that night and the next morning when I woke up I got out of bed and almost fell over. The pressure in my legs was SO bad and painful that as soon as I put any pressure on them they felt like they were going to explode. I fell back down onto my bed and took a closer look at my lobster red legs and noticed that all of the blood vessels under my burn had burst and I had several spots where it looked like it was starting to turn purple. I hobbled downstairs and ended up dropping onto the couch because I just couldn't take the pain of standing.

I talked to a bunch of people trying to decide what to do and finally decided to go into the Dr and have them look at it. I felt really silly going into the Dr for a sunburn that wasn't even really blistered (there were a few tiny bubbles starting to form but I've definitely had worse as far as the blistering goes). But I decided to go ahead and go in since I'd never had any of my blood vessels burst because of a sunburn or have parts turn purple, or had trouble standing or walking because of a sunburn. Anyway, they lathered my legs in prescription strength Burn cream and then did a compression wrap on them to help with the bursting blood vessels as well as keep the cream on. They told me that I needed to put the cream on twice a day for 5-7 days and keep them wrapped as long as I needed to.

Here's a few pictures of what my legs looked like. The far left picture is the morning of the day that I went in and then the next day and the day after that. On the 4th day after I got burned it started getting easier to stand and there wasn't as much pressure and pain but until then I couldn't really walk or get around. I would quickly hobble to the room where I needed to go and find a seat and have to put my legs up because even just having them hang down in a sitting position hurt too much. Several spots did blister and started to peal and the purple bruising got worse for the first 4 or 5 days and then gradually started to fade. At this point I have a pretty nice tan stripe down each of my legs, I bought some tanning lotion to try to balance it out and we'll see how that works. But anyway, that was our next big adventure in May!
No comments:
Post a Comment