Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Camping at Spruces

So this last weekend we went camping with some friends in our ward at Spruces (up Big Cottonwood Canyon). It was SO beautiful! The first day and especially night were REALLY cold, but then it started warming up and we had a great time! Some highlights from the trip were:


1.Nathan started to sing: He says "La, la, la!" with a huge floppy loose tongue hanging out of his mouth.


2. I was standing too close to the fire when a spark flew out and landed on my shoe creating a rather large ash hole.


3. We went on a hike to Donut Falls and on the way back I slipped and dislocated my finger at about a 70 degree angle. We didn't get a picture of it because it was kind of a dramatic moment involving talk of having to put it back in place followed by me passing out! When I passed out I must have clenched my fist because my finger popped back into place without Peter having to do it. He called it a miracle because he was super scared and sad to have to do it to me because he knew how much it would hurt me. So anyway, I took a picture of my hand yesterday and then Photoshopped it to match the nasty version that it looked like for about 3 minutes.

Here are some more fun pictures of our trip. You can also click on the "2008 January to June" slideshow to the left and see more in our family photo album.


Tyler and Caleb roasting marshmallows


All of the kids that camped with us (minus Kamryn who was napping)

How precious is this picture? I LOVE it! Sweet Nate Frog and his Daddy.

Emily and a butterfly that we found while taking a small hike.

Nathan. Doesn't he look so OLD?! Man, where does the time go?

Our family on the hike to Donut Falls. (About 15 minutes before the finger drama)

3 of my 4 sweet kids. (Tyler was probably off seeking attention from one of the twins)

Ah, yes, Tyler and Caleb and the all too famous Bailey.

Emily and Nathan. So cute! (Nathan started saying "Cheese!" while we were there too)

Madeline with her super cute friend Kamri.

My sweet sons! Tyler was pushing him on the Hammock.

Peter and the girls (and Nathan in the backpack). Isn't Emily getting BIG?

All in all it was a great trip filled with s'mores, hammocks, beaver dams, rivers, waterfalls, chipmunks, birds, hikes, butterflies and campfires and tons of fun and adventure for the kids! They found a "stone throne" and made hide outs in the trees and crossed little creeks on logs and stepping stones to the place where the "tree fairies" and "elves" lived.

Thanks for inviting us McKnights! We had so much fun with you guys and the Smiths! We'll have to do it again soon!

8 comments:

Aaron and Devon said...

Looks like fun, except for the whole finger thing! That picture is disgusting(even if it is just photo shop, the image is enough)! I am glad it popped back into place.

Katie Clement said...

This reminds me of when our families went camping together way back when!!!! And yeah, that finger photo is really gross! Your kids are adorable!!!!

Katie said...

ewww, Janelle- that was gross. I would've passed out, too! Your kids sure are cute!!

kahnfam said...

Oh my GOSH! That finger freaked me out!!!!! Sounds like you had an exciting trip to say the least!

Brooke said...

What a fun trip. Sometimes I really miss living in Utah. On the other hand, I'm really glad you found us. What a beautiful family you have. Peter is so cute with your kids (especially in the father's day pics).

Tami said...

That finger picture is extremely disturbing.

Lance and Celeste said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Question, what program do you use for your scrapbooking?

Davianne said...

Oh My Goodness!! Your finger totally gave the creeps so I had to show my sister! Yikes!! Glad everything else was fun though.