Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to School

How beautiful are Tyler's eyes?! I love my Tyler Buddy! He started 2nd Grade today and couldn't be more excited about it!

The kids are going to a new school this year and we're close enough to walk to school so naturally I walked my kids to school for their first day! Well Tyler kept wanting to walk ahead of us and then on the way home he asked if he could just walk home without me. He's too old to be seen with me! He's outgrown his own mother! *sob* I realized how quickly he is growing up and I really am proud of him. He's overcome a lot of less than lovable stages and has really become the sweetest most helpful boy! Here's to a good year!

Sweet Madeline! She's been SO excited about today that she had a really hard time falling asleep last night. She's so excited to be in first grade and staying at school all day and especially about getting to eat lunch in the cafeteria! I looked at these pictures this morning and could hardly believe how big she is getting! She doesn't look like a Kindergartner anymore! She's growing up!

Both of the kids came home talking about a mile a minute telling me all about the great friends that they made and all of the cool things that they did today and why their teacher is the best in the school and on and on and on! It was a great day! I've been feeling a little overwhelmed recently and was discouraged when I realized that the start of school would still leave me with 3 kids at home! But I was pleasantly surprised at how much quieter it was today and how much easier it is to be productive with only 3 at home. I mastered having 3 kids years ago! I can totally handle this! I got so much done today and took the time to organize the kids into a regular schedule when they got home. Snack, chores, homework, play, dinner, bed. I have 3x5 cards of chores (I drew a picture of the chore and then included drawings of the cleaners and tools they'd need to complete the job and step by step instructions of how to properly complete the job - also illustrated of course) that the kids have to pick from every day. One job a day on school days, and 3 on Saturday. Once a job has been done it gets removed for the rest of the week. It's working great so far! I'm also using this as a good chance to establish some regular routine to the rest of the day as well. I'm going to be waking up at 7:30 and exercising until 8 or 8:30 (8am when I go running or do Kickboxing and 8:30 when I go walking). You have to understand that we usually sleep in at our house so 7:30 is early for us. The kids sleep in until almost 9 most days. And since I've had Logan and have been up in the night with him... I do too! So not anymore! I'm excited to have a regular workout schedule as well as a regular routine for everything else, especially an earlier bedtime for the school year! A little more quiet time every day! Ahhhh... one of the many perks of school being in session! Here's to a wonderful school year!

3 comments:

Tami said...

Amen to early bedtimes...

kelly said...

I'm walking in the morning now, I wish we could walk together! I love her flower!

Becca said...

I know exactly how you feel! We are excited for school too. Hey I would love to see your 3x5 chore cards...did you do them on the computer? I would love to copy your idea! It sounds awesome..I've been looking for something different to do with our kiddos. Could you do a post about them or just email them to me? Not that your life isn't crazy busy or anything! Thanks Janelle!