What is his name? Peter Jay Ehat
How long have you been married? 7 1/2 years
How long did you date? Well we officially met when I was 14 and wrote while he was on his mission. But there was no expression of interest until after he got home on Christmas Eve 1999. I'd say we started dating then and got engaged the following September and Married December 19, 2000.
Where did you meet? The first time we saw each other in person at the New Years Eve dance at Fashion Fair Mall. I know this sounds so lame but we actually chatted online and emailed for awhile before that. (Good old LDSBBS baby!!)
What is the first thing you said to your him? "Hey you're Kiley's boyfriend, aren't you?" (Kiley Henderson was my Youth Councilor at Girls Camp and she DID NOT STOP talking about "My Peter". So I got to know a lot about him through her and when I saw him on the BBS I invited him to chat and asked if he was the same famous Peter Ehat. We chatted and were friends and it wasn't until he was on his mission that I started to realize how much I cared about him. Then I set out to convince him that he felt the same way!
Where was your first date? I don't think we went out on an official "date" until we were really dating. We went to his house and watched "Life is Beautiful" a few days after he got home from his mission. When I came up to Utah to visit him at BYU we hiked the Y and took a picnic to Bridal Veil Falls, and went Bowling on campus and when Ice Skating at Seven Peaks. I guess those are all dates. But he never "asked me out on a date". After his mission he left for school less than a week later. So every time we saw each other, we knew that we had come up specifically to see each other and no "asking" was necessary. Does that make sense?
Who kissed who first? Well. I wanted to kiss him awhile before he actually kissed me. We'd been dating for several months and were already saying "I love you". One night when I came up to visit we were walking from his apartment in King Henry up and around the temple and then back to my sister's by the Stadium and we stopped on the lawn in front of the Provo Temple and he took out a piece of paper and read me a poem he had written for me called "Unlocked" and then he kissed me. Awwww! So sweet!
Who proposed? He did... FINALLY!! Just kidding, but we were "engaged to be engaged" for an awfully long time! He would tease me with it every once in awhile too! Once he walked me back to my apartment after a fabulous day together and at the door he kissed me and told me he loved me and then said, "Janelle..." and got down on one knee and said, "... I have to tie my shoe!" It was pretty pathetic! By engaged to be engaged I mean that we both knew that we were going to get married and had even talked about dates but had no ring and had not officially been asked. In fact, I accidentally found out what day he was going to propose even. I don't remember all of the specifics but my sister called to see if I could watch her kids for the day and I asked Peter if we had any plans that day and he got all squirmy and sweaty and said, "Um... well, no, not really. Well kind of. Um, no, it should be fine, we can do that." It was a dead give away. So I called my sister back and told her that I was going to be busy that day. So I went to work that morning while he got things all "set up" and he picked me up from work with a single yellow rose telling me that it symbolized our friendship that we've been building on for so long. Then he drove me out to Bridal Veil Falls to a spot on the path where he told me he loved me for the first time (for some reason I KNEW that he was going to propose here, and he knew it too so he tried to shake things up). He had laid out a picnic blanket and had about 40 pictures of us (photocopied) hung from the trees and bushes all around us
and gave me a red rose (to symbolize our love) and a picnic basket full of yummy food and sparkling cider. He was being pretty secretive about the basket which made me think the ring was in there. *Oh I forgot to say that he had a stereo there as well playing Christmas Music (because we knew we were going to be getting married in December - in fact we started listening to Christmas Music LONG before Christmas just because we were so excited). Anyway, so we ate and Peter realized that he forgot to bring a bottle opener so he smashed the top of the bottle against a concrete block and glass shattered everywhere - and so did most of the cider! 
So we finished eating and talking and I 'm just waiting for it. And then he says, "So, should we go?" and I was like, what in the world? Totally surprised and confused. We walked back to the car and as we drove, Peter is SOOOO pleased with himself that he'd stumped me. He asked me if I knew where we were going next and I said no. So we drove up to Rock Canyon Park up behind the temple. In fact I don't think it's really even the park, just the canyon. Well. We got out and walked up the canyon a ways to a rock where he had hidden a single white rose with my ring around the stem (white to symbolize the purity of our love that would last for eternity) and then he got down on one knee and proposed. So the reason for Rock Canyon Park was that on one of my visits up to see him after he got home we had been walking up there and sat on this rock (or one close to it!) and talked and he gave me a ring that he got from a Moroccan boy while he was on his mission. It was a small band with colorful rocks embedded in it (it turned my finger green when I wore it so I put it on a chain and wore it as a necklace). At the time he told me that the ring symbolized our friendship and how it was starting to come full circle and turn into something more. So he took me back to that spot where he gave me the "friendship ring" to give me my engagement ring.

Where were you married? in the Fresno, California Temple.
Where was the honeymoon? John and Jenny Parker let us stay at their cabin up at Shaver Lake. We went on a few little hikes and ate breakfast in a little restaurant in town but by the end of the second day I was SUPER sick! I had body aches, fever and chills and I could hardly swallow my throat hurt so bad. I was so miserable that we came home early. We walked into my parents house and I was crying in pain and Peter came up to my mom and said, "I didn't know what to do. I don't know how to take care of her." Poor guy felt so miserable that he had this new wife that he was supposed to take care of and I'm hardly able to walk or swallow and I'm in the bathroom crying and bleeding from the throat into the sink. It turned out that I had a super bad case of tonsillitis. And Peter himself had strep. We kept saying that we were going to have a "do-over" honeymoon, but didn't get away by ourselves until Italy (6 years later!)
How many kids do you have? We have 4 kids so far. Tyler McKay was born on October 28, 2001, Madeline Elizabeth was born on August 9, 2003, Emily Mae was born on April 20, 2005 and Nathan Scott was born on March 25, 2007. We for sure want one more baby (I'm thinking there's still 2 coming, but Peter is taking it one at a time from here on out.) It can get pretty crazy around here with just the 4 we have. But we love them so much and feel so blessed to have them and I couldn't imagine life without any one of them.
Who eats more? Well it really depends! If we are taking about portions at mealtime - Him definitely! But he is really busy and so he doesn't eat breakfast most days and often skips lunch to finish a project. I, on the other hand am home all day and in the kitchen for a good portion of the day making breakfast, lunch and dinner and cleaning up after meals AND the endless sneaky snacking. So I don't ever FORGET to eat. I wish I did!
Who said I love you first? He did. He actually held my hand for the first time as he was reading me one of his journal entries that talked about his feelings for me and he technically "read" it (well kind of, it said, "... and now, I love her.").
Who is taller? He is. 6'1 and I'm 5'7 (I've been 5'8 my whole life but after our car accident in October I went to the chiropractor and he said I'm 5'6 (and a half) Which I think was just flat out wrong! So I've decided that I'm somewhere in the middle. That's not cheating is it?)
Who sings better? I do. But Peter is VERY talented, he just won't admit it!
Who is smarter? He is. Fer sure!
Whose temper is worse? I'm not as patient as he is... we'll put it that way.
Who does the laundry? I do. He will do a load on Saturday now and then. But he ALWAYS cleans the bathroom because he doesn't mind and he knows it's my least favorite job.
Who pays the bills? I do.
Who mows the lawn? He does. But I try to sneak out early to beat him to it. His allergies are REALLY bad and mowing the lawn in our SUPER windy area is torture to him. In fact sometimes I'll see him out there in plastic goggles and a blue face mask trying to protect himself from the elements! He always edges though. I'm kind of scared of it! The kids and I do a lot of the weeding too. The weeds got so bad that we were paying them 25 cents per weed! Tyler made $10 two days in a row! That's a LOT of weeds!
Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? He does. I think. He's on the right if you're looking at the bed. I'm on the right if you're on the bed.
Who cooks dinner? I do. Although Peter can whip up some MEAN Italian dishes!
Who does the dishes? I do them throughout the day and we do them together after dinner. (I usually do t least 2 loads a day)
Who drives when you are together? Peter most of the time, unless He's not feeling well or is super tired.
Who is more stubborn? That would be me.
Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? He is. He's the sweetest man in the universe and so easy to love!
Whose parents do you see the most? Peter's. Although my mom makes pretty frequent trips up from California to visit.
Who has more friends? I do. Peter is so busy and spends his free time with our family.
Have you ever broken the law with him? I don't think so. Speeding maybe.
Do you trust him? More than anyone. He's the most dependable man on earth!
Who has the most siblings? It's a tie. We both come from families with 5 kids. Although Peter has 4 brothers and I have 2 and 2.
Who wears the pants? He does. When it comes right down to it, he has the final say it what happens... but I have to make sure that every single aspect of my point of view is heard!
Where do you see yourselves in 15 years from now? Let's see, it will be 2023, Tyler will be 21 and home from his mission. Maddie will be 19 in college maybe getting ready to get married. Emily will be 17 and just getting ready to graduate High School. Nathan will be 16 dating and driving (YIKES). And we'll probably have another kid about 13 or 14 years old and MAYBE one that's about 10 or 11. Wow! That's crazy to think about. Peter and I will have been married for 23 years and I'm sure more in love than ever! Hopefully we'll be in a house we can stay in. 4 or 5 bedrooms and a big kitchen and a laundry room with a sink in it a master bathroom with a jetted tub and walk-in closets and a nice backyard. Maybe Peter's company will be successful enough that we'll be able to take the whole family back to Italy. That's kind of fun to think of our kids that old and how close we'll be to 25 years together. wow!
So that is my fun and lengthy blog all about my fabulous husband! After years of talking about it, he's going out on his own and starting his own company. He quit work at SEO.com and is now working from our basement. We transfered the toy room out into the main living room down there so that can close the door and keep out some of the noise. He and his friend Andy Goddard are working together to form "Seed Stone" (the name of their company). They do websites, design work and web marketing (basically the same thing he's been doing for the past 6 years). Peter has a huge client base from past jobs and side projects and is excited to be able to be his own boss and decide when he can have time off and be able to go to Kindergarten Graduation in the middle of the day, and things like that. He is such an amazing man and he's so talented! And I'm so glad that he loves what he does. He's the greatest husband and father anyone could ever ask for and I'm so blessed to call him my very best friend! I love you honey!
















4 comments:
What a cute post! Thanks for making a blogspot blog!!! You are such a cute couple.
you have so many great pictures of the two of you! It's so fun to see it all come "full circle!"
That is so cute! I remember visiting Clovis for the first time and meeting Peter and watching that movie with you guys!
That's right! I totally forgot that you guys were there with us! That's crazy!
Post a Comment